Jewish Museum opens
On 6 June 2019, the new Jewish Museum opened in Stockholm’s oldest synagogue.
The Museum tells the story of Swedish-Jewish history in its authentic home, Själagårdsgatan 19 in Gamla stan. A forgotten Jewish heritage which enriches the story of Sweden. The old synagogue is the starting point for the new Jewish Museum to describe almost 300 years of Jewish life in Sweden. History will continue to be made where it all started.
The priority for the Museum’s director, Christina Gamstorp, is an open, accessible meeting place where we can share Swedish-Jewish heritage, Swedish history, and the nature of integration.
— There is something universal about the Jewish story of finding a place in Swedish society.
— Lowering the threshold to the Jewish experience is more important than ever. Showing how we all manage to get along, despite our differences. Highlighting what unites us and not what divides us. These are urgent issues. It’s never easy to live under the same roof, but when people are tolerant it opens options for everyone and society changes for the better bit by bit, says Christina Gamstorp.
Data about Själargårdsgatan 19 that you may not be aware of:
Between 1795 and 1870 there was a synagogue and premises for the Jewish community at this address.
Parts of the building date back to the Middle Ages with one of the best-preserved recreation rooms in the Old Town.
In the course of refurbishing the premises, interior decorations from the middle of the 19th century have been found. Several experts have visited the site in order to inspect the painted decorations. More and more of the historic decorations will be revealed when the museum has opened.
The pulpit, dating from 1832, is one of the only inventories remaining from the time of the synagogue here. It will be on show when the museum opens.
During the years 1674-1790 the city saleroom was located here in the building.
Lina Sandell (1832-1903), one of Sweden’s most gifted and popular hymn writers lived in the building while it housed a seamen’s mission from 1870 to 1890. She, and her husband Carl Oscar Berg (1839-1903) made use of the pulpit which had previously been used by the Jewish community.
From 1890 to 1977 the building housed the local police station.